- The possible permutations of ordering the seven stamps determined the need for 42 collages.
- We will give a proof here, independent of Wilson's theorem, that all permutations are possible.
- There are 16 different permutations for a possible World Series matchup this season.
- The statistical significance of this test is calculated by permutation.
- A simple position permutation was also used to generate random sequences.
- The statistical significance of the values was estimated by permutation analysis using 1,000 replications.
- Example sentences
- His methods here are based on wreath products and permutational products.
- The table was analyzed using an exact permutational test using the algorithm of ROFF and BENTZEN permuted randomly 1000 times.
- Here, the permutational integers are sentences, rather than rhymes.
commute from Late Middle English:
In early use commute meant ‘to interchange two things’. Its source is Latin commutare, from com- ‘together’ and mutare ‘to change’, the root of English words such as moult (Late Middle English), mutant (early 19th century), and permutation (Late Middle English). The modern meaning, ‘to travel between home and your place of work’, comes from commutation ticket. This was the American term for a season ticket, where a number of daily fares were ‘commuted’ to, or changed into, a single payment. The Americans have been commuting since the 1860s, but the term did not make its way over to Britain until the 1930s.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.