(also pernambuco wood)
- The hard reddish timber of a Brazilian tree, used for making violin bows and as a source of red dye.
More example sentences
- The tree is Caesalpinia echinata, family Leguminosae
- Modern bows are made of pernambuco, but as this becomes increasingly expensive and difficult to obtain some makers are experimenting with carbon fibre and other synthetics.
- Although Custom outfits are available, the standard outfit includes a R.A. Meinel pernambuco bow.
late 16th century: from the name of the Brazilian state Pernambuco.
More definitions of PernambucoDefinition of pernambuco in:
- The British & World English dictionary