1A compound containing two oxygen atoms bonded together in its molecule or as the anion O22−.
- Functions include detoxification of free radicals and peroxides, regulation of cell growth and protein function, and maintenance of immune function.
- The increased accumulation of lipid peroxides is indicative of enhanced production of toxic oxygen species.
- Similar to peroxides, decomposition of disulfides results in the formation of sulfur-centered radicals.
1.1Hydrogen peroxide, especially as used as a bleach for the hair: [as modifier]: a peroxide blonde
More example sentences
- Make poultice soaked with 20% peroxide (hair bleaching strength) and a few drops of ammonia.
- ‘I think it's important to be original,’ the 27-year-old with peroxide blonde hair said.
- A woman steps out, quite tall with peroxide blonde hair, looks English.
Bleach (hair) with peroxide.
- I am not convinced by her argument that peroxided hair came into vogue in the early 1920s, nor that the national fascination with blondes was strong in that decade.
- My agent filled them in that my hair had been peroxided and was very weak.
- It took half an hour before a certain table of heavily peroxided girls understood what an essence was.
Words that rhyme with peroxidedioxide, dockside, hydroxide, monoxide, oxide
Definition of peroxide in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.