Definition of perpetuum mobile in English:
1 Music A piece of fast-moving instrumental music consisting mainly of notes of equal length.
- Other 20th-century composers, for instance Honegger, Martin, and Prokofiev, wrote toccatas in perpetuum mobile style, following the example of Schumann.
- Op. 54 is in two movements, minuet and a kind of perpetuum mobile, often referred to as a toccata: its form and style can't be found elsewhere in Beethoven.
2 another term for perpetual motion.
- His preoccupations caricature Fedor's preoccupation with infinity by reducing what is for Fedor a kind of otherworldly transcendence to the pragmatism of a perpetuum mobile.
- Tito's perpetuum mobile kept rotating during the stagnant 1970s.
- We are amused by purported perpetuum mobile devices.
Latin, literally 'continuously moving (thing)', on the pattern of primum mobile.
Definition of perpetuum mobile in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.