- Continue in a course of action even in the face of difficulty or with little or no prospect of success: his family persevered with his treatmentMore example sentences
persist, continue, carry on, go on, keep on, keep going, struggle on, hammer away, be persistent, be determined, see/follow something through, keep at it, press on/ahead, not take no for an answer, be tenacious, stand one's ground, stand fast/firm, hold on, go the distance, stay the course, plod on, stop at nothing, leave no stone unturned
- We persevered through all the difficulties but got there in the end.
- The saddest part is that despite all of the hassles and law suits, they continue to persevere.
- Still, we persevered and in spite of the traffic it was soon actually rather pleasant.
- More example sentences
- Readers will thank Alexander for so perseveringly collecting their letters, diaries and memories.
- Moving to the cast, the film was inarguably his best film where he perseveringly proved his acting abilities minus his seducing styles.
- They could help to shape the future of our children in a positive direction and help them to pursue and achieve their goals perseveringly.
late Middle English: from Old French perseverer, from Latin perseverare 'abide by strictly', from perseverus 'very strict', from per- 'thoroughly' + severus 'severe'.