adjectiveNorth American • informal
- 1Placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy: persnickety gardeners she’s very persnickety about her foodMore example sentences
- And while she could occasionally be persnickety about certain things, she didn't need Dante telling her that.
- Trailing fuchsias are especially persnickety about their environment.
- The only cultural feature they are persnickety about is well-drained soil.
- 1.1Requiring a particularly precise or careful approach: it’s hard to find a film more persnickety and difficult to use than black-and-white infraredMore example sentences
- This persnickety approach is forcing some companies to shape up.
early 19th century (originally Scots): of unknown origin.