Definition of perspectivism in English:
1 Philosophy The theory that knowledge of a subject is inevitably partial and limited by the individual perspective from which it is viewed. See also relativism.
- By juxtaposing Popper against Nietzsche, I would outline an abductive system which connects individual perspectivism with scientific reality (however naive the prospect).
- In Nietzsche's perspectivism, two basic notions come together.
- What is resisted in both Nietzsche's embodied/embedded perspectivism and his elitism is universalism.
2The practice of regarding and analyzing a situation or work of art from different points of view.
- If one tried to press his perspectivism harder than that, it would seem very dubious.
- Such perspectivism is not to be mistaken for relativism, however.
- To do so requires a width and breadth of perspective on the human condition that are at the furthest possible distance from the perspectivism and narcissism of so much contemporary historiography.
- Example sentences
- A sudden jump to the nineteenth century looks at architectural photography, comparing it to the work of the topographical perspectivists.
- Desargues, taking the perspectivist's preoccupation with foreshortening objects in the grid, instead treats the grid as its own object.
- That was central to the tradition of perspectivist landscape painting.
Definition of perspectivism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan