Good at persuading someone to do or believe something through reasoning or the use of temptation: an informative and persuasive speech
More example sentences
- Instead of sounding forceful and persuasive, he often sounds tinny and annoyed.
- They believe that praising the world's most powerful men is more persuasive than criticising them.
- Good writing is therefore very much to do with developing your style so that it is persuasive and convincing.
convincing, cogent, compelling, potent, forceful, powerful, impactful, eloquent, impressive, influential, sound, valid, strong, effective, winning, telling;
- Example sentences
- Her avoidance of traditionalist rhetoric and assumptions strengthens her persuasiveness, but there is room for ingenuity.
- He has a mild, retiring manner but he speaks with great clarity and persuasiveness.
- Research shows that three characteristics are related to persuasiveness: perceived authority, honesty, and likeability.
Late 15th century: from French persuasif, -ive or medieval Latin persuasivus, from persuas- 'convinced by reasoning', from the verb persuadere (see persuade).
Words that rhyme with persuasiveabrasive, evasive, invasive, pervasive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.