Definition of pervade in English:
1(Especially of a smell) spread through and be perceived in every part of: a smell of stale cabbage pervaded the air
More example sentences
- Tall chimneys spew out long fingers of white smoke, the smell of dinner pervading the night air.
- Instead, all they have to do is follow their nose - the sweet, strong smell pervades the entire gallery.
- If they open their windows, the smell pervades their homes and lingers there for a long time.
1.1(Of an influence, feeling, or quality) be present and apparent throughout: the sense of crisis that pervaded Europe in the 1930s
More example sentences
- They are derivative works, and this weakness just pervades them throughout.
- Disbelief, anger, worry and fear now pervade rural communities throughout the country.
- I think that managers have got to have a better understanding of the discrimination issues that pervade throughout the service at the present time.
- Example sentences
- He just said: ‘In this virtual world, the pervasion of indecent information is inevitable.’
- People have begun to realize that the pervasion of law into every layer of life calls for a specialized and ethical legal profession.
- It also goes to show Russia in a light other than the stock images of communism, deprivation and Mafia pervasion.
Mid 17th century (also in the sense 'traverse'): from Latin pervadere, from per- 'throughout' + vadere 'go'.
Words that rhyme with pervadeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, stock-in-trade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.