Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of petrogenesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
The formation of rocks, especially igneous and metamorphic rocks.
- The petrogenesis of igneous rocks in the Albany-Fraser Province is not well constrained, although U-Pb zircon geochronology establishes that most granitic protoliths were not tectonically reworked Yilgarn Craton.
- Petrogenesis Igneous petrogenesis is the process or set of processes by which igneous rocks are formed.
- The petrogenesis and tectonic setting of the supersuite, and cogenetic felsic volcanic rocks, has been discussed in some detail by Griffin et al..
- Example sentences
- The revised age for the Jozini Formation rhyolites is also of significance for petrogenetic models proposed for the Karoo silicic magmatism.
- As for so many cases in the Earth sciences, the igneous geologist has to work back in time using all available field, geochemical, and experimental data to construct a viable petrogenetic history for any particularly igneous rock.
- The Sogneskollen Granitic Complex is Rb-poor while Sr, Ba and NaO show rather large abundances; these have important petrogenetic implications if they represent the magmatic concentrations.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.