Definition of phagosome in English:
A vacuole in the cytoplasm of a cell, containing a phagocytosed particle enclosed within a part of the cell membrane.
- The researchers engineer a BCG strain that secretes the listeriolysin protein, which punches holes in the membranes of phagosomes where M. tuberculosis is located, allowing better T cell-mediated immunity.
- The process of phagocytosis continues until the bacterium is completely internalized, surrounded by membrane in the phagosome.
- After internalization of organisms into phagosomes, secondary lysosomes are fused to form the complete parasitophorus vacuole.
- Example sentences
- Failure of mycobacteria to survive in the absence of specific iron uptake system suggests the scarcity of this important nutrient in phagosomal environment 59.
- Electrons are transferred from cytoplasmic NADPH to oxygen on the phagosomal side of the membrane, generating the so-called reactive oxygen species, e.g., superoxide, hydrogen peroxide, hydroxyl radical, and singlet oxygen.
- The lack of urease C allows phagosomal acidification and provides an ideal pH environment for listeriolysin.
Definition of phagosome in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan