- 2 (Phalange) A right-wing Maronite party in Lebanon founded in 1936 by Pierre Gemayel. Compare with Falange.[ mid 20th century: shortened from French Phalanges Libanaises 'Lebanese phalanxes']
- sense 2.More example sentences
- The murder of a busload of Muslim civilians by Phalangistes, in answer to the killing of Christians outside a church, helped trigger the civil war in 1975.
- The Militias flourished around political groupings, the most well known of them was the Maronite phalangistes, which had close ties with Israel, and on the Muslim side, a loose grouping called the National Movement.
Pronunciation: /ˌfālanˈZHēst, fəˈlanjist/noun & adjective
More definitions of phalangeDefinition of phalange in:
- The British & World English dictionary