Definition of phallus in English:
noun (plural phalliˈfalī or phalluses)
1A penis, especially when erect (typically used with reference to male potency or dominance).
- In both cases, nakedness and unruly locks of hair are used as attributes of evil and vice; perhaps in deference to the exclusively monastic audience, however, the male phallus is decorously omitted.
- In medieval engravings and reliefs the Devil is frequently portrayed as a sort of satyr, with cloven hooves and the torso of a man, his Dionysian capacity for disorder and revelry indicated by his huge erect phallus.
- As an extension of the phallus, the surface of the male body is a crucial site for the demonstration of embodied control.
1.1An image or representation of an erect penis, typically symbolizing fertility or potency.
- Sculptures grouped in the open space in front of the center included large wooden phalluses and representations of copulating genitalia that resemble Korean shamanist ritual paraphernalia.
- As a fertility god he is represented by the phallus, or liga, which will take on increased importance in the iva cult.
- In medical astrology, Mars represents the penis, connecting again to the image of the phallus and the ‘tool’ by which the solar seed is delivered.
- Example sentences
- This last appealing in its frank phallicism - and in its quasi-Jungian cast of poised characters stacked like masks on the pole.
- This is a pioneering work, the first book in English to deal comprehensively with the origins and meaning of Japanese phallicism and to stress its pivotal position in Japan's folk religion - that foundation of beliefs underlying the indigenous cult of Shinto and Japanese religiosity in general.
- Example sentences
- Phallism is sex symbolism, and all creative power in a god is symbolized by the actual facts of creation of life in nature by means of the organs of sex.
- I note how phallism and phallic cults of Madagascar may throw light on unexplained aspects of the Great Zimbabwe such as the great Conical Tower.
Early 17th century: via late Latin from Greek phallos.
Words that rhyme with phallusCallas, callous, callus, Dallas, Pallas
Definition of phallus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.