verb[with object] Phonetics
- Articulate (a speech sound) with constriction of the pharynx.More example sentences
- But when you pharyngealise [A] (or [a]), you get a narrowing in the throat (instead of at a (labio-)palatal or a labio-velar one), of course.
- I've tried and subsequently failed to velarise, uvularise, & pharyngealise those sounds.
- More example sentences
- Velarization and pharyngealization can also both be marked by a tilde through the consonant, as we have seen in the symbol for the dark 'l'.
- Laryngeal sphinctering is required for pharyngealization, usually with larynx raising.
More definitions of pharyngealizeDefinition of pharyngealize in:
- The British & World English dictionary