Definition of phenotype in English:
The set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment.
- Plasticity is the property of a given genotype to produce different phenotypes depending on the environment.
- For a parent with observed phenotypes, its actual genotypes can be inferred similarly.
- A classic forward genetics approach relies on the identification of observable mutant phenotypes.
- Example sentences
- There is no defining collection of racially significant genes, for any presumptive race, that always gets inherited together, and no defining collection of phenotypical traits that all members of any race have.
- Physical gender usually follows the pattern laid down by the genes, but mutations such as Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome can turn genetic males into phenotypical females, and Congenital Adrenal Hypreplasia the reverse.
- All of the wildcats showed the typical wildcat coat color patterns, and we did not observe wildcats showing phenotypical traits suggesting hybridization.
Definition of phenotype in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.