Definition of philanthropic in English:
(Of a person or organization) seeking to promote the welfare of others, especially by donating money to good causes; generous and benevolent: they receive financial support from philanthropic bodies
More example sentences
- But she's a philanthropic person - her charitable foundation's done a lot of work.
- For much of our history medical care was delivered by religious organisations or philanthropic individuals and institutions.
- There are philanthropic organizations that raise money from the public and channel it to needy parents.
- Example sentences
- He did do good things, and was a very good friend - a very philanthropically minded person and a liberal spirit in an incredibly reactionary age.
- The vast sums that flew in and out of his accounts, he said in a classic Burkism, were ‘walking around money’, to be spent philanthropically while touring his constituency.
- TarraWarra was Australia's first philanthropically funded public museum, a gift by Eva and Marc Besen of Melbourne who raided their private collection to start it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan