Definition of philtrum in English:
1The vertical groove between the base of the nose and the border of the upper lip.
- A 37-year-old woman presented for evaluation of a scar on her philtrum.
- Nothing makes a man more adorable than a well-shaped philtrum.
- Nevertheless, early correction may be indicated because the prolabium usually contains more than enough tissue to create a philtrum of normal size.
1.1The junction between the two halves of the upper lip or of an animal’s nose.
- Superficial ulcers appear on the dorsum of the tongue, hard palate, and nasal philtrum.
- Two dogs were presented with dermal arteritis of the nasal philtrum associated with repeated episodes of bleeding.
- A midline groove called the philtrum divides the rhinarium into two, each half containing a nostril.
Latin, from Greek philtron 'love potion'.
Words that rhyme with philtrumoutcome • sugarplum • lanthanum
Definition of philtrum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.