- The activity of defrauding an online account holder of financial information by posing as a legitimate company: [as modifier]: phishing exercises in which criminals create replicas of commercial Web sitesMore example sentences
- The modern era of phishing is exemplified by emails messages from Nigerians posing as business partners trying to move money out of the African country.
- The second issue I have is that the most common attacks today collect passwords through phishing.
- To avoid being a victim of phishing, never respond to e-mail requests for personal information, no matter how official the message looks.
- More example sentences
- The claim here is that phishing is only illegal after someone is defrauded - and this law will make the actions required to phish (the fake website and fake email) illegal as well.
- In February, a Minnesota scammer who phished PayPal members, pleaded guilty to wire fraud in federal court.
- Since it claims they will block these sites, will a user who gets phished be able to sue it for not living up to their promise to block those sites?
1990s: inspired by fishing, on the pattern of phreaking.
More definitions of phishingDefinition of phishing in:
- The British & World English dictionary