- A brown micaceous mineral that occurs chiefly in metamorphosed limestone and magnesium-rich igneous rocks.More example sentences
- Some of the characteristic minerals found in kimberlite are olivine, pyrope garnet, enstatite, diopside, ilmenite, phlogopite, perovskite, magnetite, and spinel.
- Also, diamond is well known as host for a wide variety of inclusions such as graphite, magnetite, ilmenite, garnet (usually pyrope), chrome-diopside, chlorite, biotite, phlogopite, and even corundum.
- Other associated minerals include olivine (commonly altered to serpentine), phlogopite, enstatite, and many other trace accessory minerals.
mid 19th century: from Greek phlogōpos 'fiery' (from the base of phlegein 'to burn') + ōps, ōp- 'face' + -ite1.
More definitions of phlogopiteDefinition of phlogopite in:
- The British & World English dictionary