A North American plant that typically has dense clusters of colorful scented flowers, widely grown as a rock-garden or border plant.
- Genus Phlox, family Polemoniaceae
More example sentences
- Creeping phlox, thyme and aubrietia grow between terrace stones, in typical English fashion, next to a creeping bent lawn.
- If you pick perennial plants, like the alpine phlox or gazania, then you can divide them and propagate them throughout the border.
- Try poppies, cornflowers, stocks, love-in-a-mist, cosmos, mignonette, larkspur, honesty, ox-eye daisies, marigolds, phlox, sunflowers, zinnias - whatever takes your fancy.
modern Latin, from Latin, denoting a flame-colored flower, from Greek, literally 'flame'.
Definition of phlox in:
- The British & World English dictionary