- An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something: he had a phobia about being under water a phobia of germs a snake phobiaMore example sentences
- Irrational fears and phobias, for example, are essentially habits of mind that we acquire, not feelings we were born with.
- It accounts for most of our fears, even our likes and dislikes, and phobias.
- It is certainly possible to argue that neurotic symptoms, like phobias or obsessions, are strictly determined.
- More example sentences
- Symptoms responding included anxiety, frequency and severity of panic attacks, and phobic fear and avoidance.
- The women were asked about experiences of depressive, phobic, panic-related, obsessive-compulsive, and social anxiety symptoms in the past 12 months.
- Overall, it appears that anxious and phobic individuals have more difficulty suppressing unwanted thoughts than do nonanxious individuals.
Pronunciation: /ˈfōbik/adjective & noun
late 18th century: independent usage of -phobia.