Definition of phone tree in English:
1A menu-driven system that routes callers to recordings, more menus, or a person, depending on their responses: users had to navigate an elaborate phone tree before reaching a counselor
More example sentences
- I was on the Prince sponsorship package, which meant that I could call their headquarters in New Jersey, fight my way through a tangled phone tree and demand to speak to someone in the "Elite Athlete" division.
- More often, I got to the end of a long phone tree and an hour of hold music only to be told to take it up with the government.
- Technology has given us all those great voicemail phone trees that more often prevent us from resolving problems that would take only a couple of minutes if we could actually speak with a person in charge directly.
2A system for contacting a large number of people quickly in which each person called then telephones a number of other designated people.
- City officials have established a flood warning website and "phone trees" to get word out of any coming disaster.
- Local officials and loyal customers formed a phone tree to get in touch with employees and season-ticket holders, and then many of them decided to fill in as workers for no pay.
- The bureau has put together phone trees for contacting staff if the office is inaccessible.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India