Definition of phosphate in English:
1 Chemistry A salt or ester of phosphoric acid, containing PO43− or a related anion or a group such as —OPO(OH)2.
- Several formulations are available, and all are based on fertilizers such as urea, ammonium nitrate, ammoniated phosphates, potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate.
- Phosphoric acid and its phosphate derivatives are essential in human nutrition.
- It occurs in all kinds of minerals, such as oxides, carbonates, nitrates, sulfates, and phosphates.
2US dated An effervescent soft drink containing phosphoric acid, soda water, and flavoring.
- When they got them, they left their phosphates, a kind of soft drink, on the table, while they went over to the salad bar and prepared their burgers, fries, and cheese logs as they liked them.
- Charlie was as sweet as cherry phosphate.
late 18th century: from French, from phosphore 'phosphorus'.
Definition of phosphate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan