A colorless foul-smelling gaseous compound of phosphorus and hydrogen, analogous to ammonia, widely used as an insecticidal fumigant in agricultural products.
- Chemical formula: PH3. It forms salts containing the phosphonium ion, PH4+
More example sentences
- The two main alternatives for methyl bromide in pesticides are ‘integrated commodity management’ and fumigation, which uses phosphine and carbon dioxide to kill the pests.
- The inorganic compound phosphine is very similar to ammonia in its substitution reactions.
- Since the explosion yesterday morning, which jammed a main cargo door shut, gases including hydrogen, phosphine and arsine, a derivative of arsenic, have started venting from the cargo hold.
Definition of phosphine in:
- The British & World English dictionary