- 1A synthetic fluorescent or phosphorescent substance, especially any of those used to coat the screens of cathode ray tubes.More example sentences
- Compounds of the element are also used to make phosphors that coat the screen of television tubes and CRTs (cathode ray tubes).
- To obtain good colour pictures on a TV screen, you need phosphors that produce rich, pure primaries.
- Fluorescent materials can be synthetic, such as phosphors, or occur in nature, for example, fluorescent minerals.
early 17th century: from Latin phosphorus (see phosphorus).
More definitions of phosphorDefinition of phosphor in:
- The British & World English dictionary