Definition of photochemical in English:
1Of, relating to, or caused by the chemical action of light: photochemical smog
More example sentences
- The small rings are made to move around the big ring by bathing them in light of different wavelengths; the light energy fuels the photochemical reaction to break the hydrogen bonds.
- One influential school of thought focuses on the effects of oxidation reactions brought about by active oxygen species generated by photochemical reactions involving blue and UV light.
- This is a problem for museums because photochemical oxidation is not required; the reactions take place in the dark.
1.1Of or relating to photochemistry.
- The program emphasized photochemical approaches, although thermochemical processes were also evaluated.
- Ever since mechanical and photochemical advances in the 19th century gave rise to the invention of motion picture recording and display, the evolution of the ‘art’ of film has been a consequence of the rate of technological change.
- Example sentences
- In the photogravure process, the image is photochemically transferred to an etching plate that has been coated with a light-sensitive emulsion.
- In addition and parallel to drug photobleaching during PDT, native photosensitizers can be photochemically converted to new species known as ‘photoproducts’.
- During the oxidative stress of constant ultraviolet radiation, at least one photochemically active tryptophan metabolite, N-formyl kynurenine (NF-Kyn), is formed in the lens.
Words that rhyme with photochemicalacademical, agrochemical, alchemical, biochemical, chemical, petrochemical, polemical
Definition of photochemical in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.