noun[treated as singular]
- The branch of technology concerned with the properties and transmission of photons, for example in fiber optics.More example sentences
- Spie recognizes optics and photonics as an important technological branch of modern physics.
- The research is a prime example of work at the forefront of two strategic initiatives of the School of Engineering: information technology and photonics, and nanoscience and nanotechnology.
- There may be a move away from electronics to photonics, a merging of the two, as well as links to carbon-based systems.
More definitions of photonicsDefinition of photonics in:
- The British & World English dictionary