1Detailed and unidealized representation in art, especially of banal, mundane, or sordid aspects of life.
- Like Picasso, Bacon sought neither photorealism nor photographic verisimilitude, nor were his paintings merely the sum of their sources.
- The 1950s once again saw two contrasting movements thrive, photorealism and subjectivism.
- His artwork was visionary, defined by its luscious gouache and photorealism, and his fondness for dressing his characters in the cartileginous mugs of actors like Kirk Douglas.
2Detailed visual representation, like that obtained in a photograph, in a nonphotographic medium such as animation or computer graphics.
- While adults express concerns regarding photorealism in games, children, the survey suggests, are well able to separate reality from the fictional environment of the game world.
- With slightly less attention to photorealism, perhaps people would be less likely to complain about Spider-Man's apparent weightless landings and take them more in the spirit of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- The G40 builds on the G34 by adding programmable pixel shaders and is being pitched at apps that need a higher level of photorealism than games.
photorealist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Even a small photorealist oil painting of a beefy Brian Wilson with the singer's name attached in a glued-on label seems to be the product of a deeply devoted craft.
- As a technical tour de force, the work is stunning, but its close relationship to photorealist sculpture is somewhat apart from the main thrust of Romero's work.
- Known for his portraits of movie theaters across small town America, Davis Cone, a photorealist painter, has made a tribute to a New York City icon.
- Example sentences
- Looking at Rod McGehee's vivid, playful renderings of technicolor landscapes and curvaceous buildings, you'd never guess he once made a living painting photorealistic Western art.
- Dark colors and photorealistic artwork was dominant.
- Tim Eitel is the most photorealistic of the artists, working in a flat, cool manner suggestive of fashion advertisements, and influenced, perhaps, by Alex Katz.
Definition of photorealism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.