Definition of photoreceptor in English:
A structure in a living organism, especially a sensory cell or sense organ, that responds to light falling on it.
- Indeed, most organisms have evolved specialized photoreceptors for circadian light perception.
- Both Z and phototropin have been implicated as blue light photoreceptors of guard cells.
- All visual systems begin with photoreceptors, which are cells that respond to light energy.
- Example sentences
- The second mutant phenotype is a slower rate of photoreceptive disk membrane renewal in the outer segments, caused by perturbed phagocytosis of disk membranes.
- Higher plants have evolved a complex photoreceptive system involving distinct families of photoreceptors to perceive light signals.
- Visual pigments are photoreceptive molecules that occur in rod and cone photoreceptor cells in the retina and characterize the vision of an animal.
Definition of photoreceptor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia