- A structure in a living organism, especially a sensory cell or sense organ, that responds to light falling on it.More example sentences
- Indeed, most organisms have evolved specialized photoreceptors for circadian light perception.
- Both Z and phototropin have been implicated as blue light photoreceptors of guard cells.
- All visual systems begin with photoreceptors, which are cells that respond to light energy.
- More example sentences
- The second mutant phenotype is a slower rate of photoreceptive disk membrane renewal in the outer segments, caused by perturbed phagocytosis of disk membranes.
- Higher plants have evolved a complex photoreceptive system involving distinct families of photoreceptors to perceive light signals.
- Visual pigments are photoreceptive molecules that occur in rod and cone photoreceptor cells in the retina and characterize the vision of an animal.
More definitions of photoreceptorDefinition of photoreceptor in:
- The British & World English dictionary