Definition of photostat in English:
1A type of machine for making photocopies on special paper.
- What appeared to be the ink drum of a broken photostat machine rolled across the floor and glass crunched underfoot as Sizani and his entourage stepped over pieces of overhead projectors.
- It was certainly not a typewriter, let alone a photostat machine.
- The block which housed office equipment, photostat and fax machine, typewriters, a book depositor which stored text-books and stationery, furniture, science kit and other valuable equipment was burned to the ground.
1.1A copy made by a photostat.
- The print on some of the photostat and carbon copy sheets has faded and these items are particularly flimsy.
- On receipt of this letter I wrote to Dr. Bhagavantham, enclosing a photostat copy of Mr. Shoji Hattori's letter.
- The photostats are monochrome, of course, and the figures seem to float in a kind of brown twilight.
verb (photostats, photostating, photostated)[with object] Back to top
Make a copy of (a document) using a photostat machine.
- Anyone caught copying a DVD, distributing software to aid in the copying of DVDs, or photostatting the label on a DVD will be hanged by their thumbs and forced to watch Britney Spears videos.
- If it's an article then we just photostat it and send it to the library.
- The book twice quotes Dan Rather's embarrassingly over-conclusory statement in the late hours of election night: ‘Sip it, savor it, cup it, photostat it, underline it in red, press it in a book, put it in an album, hang it on the wall.’
- Example sentences
- So far as I can tell, it consisted of twenty-one photostatic enlargements of his montages, which I find somewhat baffling.
- He showed us photostatic copies of photographs of what appeared to be hinges that were about seven inches, two inches wide and you could see that there was some thickness to them.
- I'm taking Mr Thomas up to make some photostatic copies.
Words that rhyme with photostatthermostat
Definition of photostat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan