Definition of phreatophyte in English:
A plant with a deep root system that draws its water supply from near the water table.
- This and other species of Prosopis are considered as facultative phreatophytes, i.e. with roots that can take water from shallow and deep soil horizons.
- Diurnal water table fluctuations can be considered a diagnostic indicator of groundwater consumption by phreatophytes at most sites.
- Example sentences
- The growth and survival of this species rely on access to deep water tables such as those occurring on river banks (phreatophytic habit).
- We explored this biogeochemical transfer and its influence on soils in phreatophytic eucalypt plantations and native grasslands of the Pampas (Argentina).
Definition of phreatophyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan