A crystalline compound made by oxidizing naphthalene, used as an intermediate in the manufacture of plastics, resins, and dyes.
- A bicyclic anhydride; chemical formula: C6H4(CO)2O
More example sentences
- In one method, naphthalene is oxidized with vanadium pentoxide to give phthalic anhydride.
- Alkyd resins are produced by the curing reaction of a material like phthalic anhydride with glycerol in the presence of a fatty acid.
- Succinic anhydride has almost the same rate constant as acetic, while maleic anhydride reacts 10 times as quickly and phthalic anhydride four times.
mid 19th century: phthalic, shortening of naphthalic (see naphthalene).
Definition of phthalic anhydride in:
- The British & World English dictionary