- A kind of dough that can be stretched into thin sheets, used in layers to make pastries, especially in eastern Mediterranean cooking: [as modifier]: phyllo pastryMore example sentences
- Before food processors and dough machines, bakers in Mediterranean palaces would shape and stretch phyllo by hand.
- You'll need phyllo pastry, available in the freezer section of most supermarkets, whipped cream, grated white chocolate, fresh or frozen berries of your choice, icing sugar, a lemon and decorative gold dust.
- The crispy phyllo pastry that housed the veggie pie provided perfect textural contrast to the pasty sweet potato, which was oh-so-sweetly lubricated by a juicy tomato-apple relish.
1950s: from modern Greek phullo 'leaf'.
More definitions of phylloDefinition of phyllo in:
- The British & World English dictionary