A plant louse that is a pest of vines.
- Phylloxera vitifoliae, family Phylloxeridae, suborder Homoptera
More example sentences
- While growing succeeded there for decades, a plague of the plant louse phylloxera, followed by Prohibition and then the Depression, set the region back for years.
- They had replanted their land with vines after the phylloxera disaster, until a glut of cheap wine flooded the market, and they could no longer sell their only product.
- More important was the wine boom in Spain and Italy in the 1880s which took advantage of the phylloxera epidemic in France.
Definition of phylloxera in:
- The British & World English dictionary