noun (plural phyla /-lə/)Zoology
1A principal taxonomic category that ranks above class and below kingdom.
- The superphylum Deuterostomia contains the diverse phyla Chordata and Echinodermata and the minor phyla Hemichordata and Urochordata.
- In the animal kingdom there are many phyla, and the mammals come into a phylum called the chordates.
- Arthropods, chordates and annelids are the three segmented phyla in the animal kingdom.
1.1 Linguistics A group of languages related to each other less closely than those forming a family, especially one in which the relationships are disputed or unclear.
- Na-Dene is one of the most widely distributed language phyla in North America.
- Within a phylum, however, it may also be necessary to recognize some languages that have no close relatives and do not fall into families.
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek phulon 'race'.
Words that rhyme with phylumasylum, hilum, whilom
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of phylum in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.