Definition of physalis in English:
A plant of a genus that includes the cape gooseberry and Chinese lantern, which have an inflated, lanternlike calyx.
- Genus Physalis, family Solanaceae: many species
- Take the physalis (cape gooseberry) I tried raising from seed for the first time this season, for instance.
- Sow physalis in heated propagator; plant out shallots; mulch blackcurrants and raspberries; tidy strawberry bed; finish compost trenches on allotment where squash will grow; weed incessantly.
- I've also been cheered up by the unexpected emergence of some physalis plants I'd convinced myself had died when I transplanted them.
Modern Latin, from Greek phusallis 'bladder' (because of the inflated calyx).
Definition of physalis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.