- A blue-green pigment found in many plants, in which it regulates various developmental processes.More example sentences
- This macroscopically observable reaction was identified to be coupled with light-induced processes of the photoreceptor phytochrome.
- This is the opposite of the situation in higher plants, where red light activates and far-red light inactivates phytochrome.
- The plant photoreceptor phytochrome exhibits remarkable structural and functional variabilities in the plant cell.
late 19th century: from phyto- 'relating to plants' + Greek khrōma 'color'.
More definitions of phytochromeDefinition of phytochrome in:
- The British & World English dictionary