- A toxic plant protein, especially that extracted from the red kidney bean. It has important medical applications, especially in immunology, because it can induce mitosis and also causes red blood cells to clump together.More example sentences
- Males were then subjected to a cutaneous hypersensitivity test by injecting their wing web with a lectin, phytohemagglutinin, which has a mitogenic effect on T-lymphocytes.
- Finally, a lectin found in raw kidney bean, phytohaemagglutinin, was found to reduce the rate of an NHL tumor in mice.
- House sparrows were injected 0.05 ml of 0.2 mg phytohemagglutinin (PHA-P) in one wing web and 0.05 ml physiological water in the other wing web.
More definitions of phytohemagglutininDefinition of phytohemagglutinin in:
- The British & World English dictionary