nounchiefly North American
- (Especially in Spanish-speaking communities) a decorated figure of an animal containing toys and candy that is suspended from a height and broken open by blindfolded children as part of a celebration.More example sentences
- The messiest of the activities on offer was the creation of piñatas using papier-mache and brightly coloured paint.
- Top University of Arizona administrators and astronomers celebrated this legislative end run by throwing a party, the centerpiece of which was a papier-mâché piñata in the shape of a Mount Graham red squirrel.
- We went to a party with 2 amazing grind core bands, Dread Knox and Cowboy Killas, a bar with $200 of free liquor, 4 kegs and a piñata stuffed with candy and condoms.
mid 19th century: Spanish, literally 'pot'.
More definitions of piñataDefinition of piñata in:
- The British & World English dictionary