Definition of piaffe in English:
A movement performed in advanced dressage and classical riding, in which the horse executes a slow, elevated trot without moving forward.
- Stopping in the center of the arena they performed a piaffe worthy of international competition.
- She recently worked with a clinician to teach her horse half-steps, which precede training the piaffe.
- The horse is taken through a series of tests, such as the pirouette, piaffe and passage, in a walk, trot and canter.
verb[no object] Back to top
(Of a horse) perform a piaffe.
- "My daughter once saw a professional whose horse piaffed backward out of the ring," she says.
- The stallion piaffed, cantered, did shoulders-in and half-passes.
- Milo obediently piaffed and passaged, and I was very proud of him and keen to show his talent for the difficult work.
mid 18th century: from French piaffer 'to strut'.
Definition of piaffe in:
- British & World English dictionary