Definition of piaffe in English:
A movement performed in advanced dressage and classical riding, in which the horse executes a slow, elevated trot without moving forward.
- Stopping in the center of the arena they performed a piaffe worthy of international competition.
- She recently worked with a clinician to teach her horse half-steps, which precede training the piaffe.
- The horse is taken through a series of tests, such as the pirouette, piaffe and passage, in a walk, trot and canter.
verb[no object] Back to top
(Of a horse) perform a piaffe.
- "My daughter once saw a professional whose horse piaffed backward out of the ring," she says.
- The stallion piaffed, cantered, did shoulders-in and half-passes.
- Milo obediently piaffed and passaged, and I was very proud of him and keen to show his talent for the difficult work.
mid 18th century: from French piaffer 'to strut'.
Definition of piaffe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan