noun (plural pianos)
A large keyboard musical instrument with a wooden case enclosing a soundboard and metal strings, which are struck by hammers when the keys are depressed. The strings' vibration is stopped by dampers when the keys are released, and it can be regulated for length and volume by two or three pedals.
- I like to use pianos and strings and brass as I feel that they are the most precious instruments to use.
- They are regular pianos with real strings and keys but they are driven by digital pitch information from a computer.
- Stanley had a great love of music and played a baby grand piano.
noun(plural pianos or piani /-nē/) Back to top
A passage marked to be performed softly.
- There is a crescendo, a sudden piano, a diminuendo and quiet ending in D.
- Notice the sudden piano after the crescendo.
- Her sudden piano followed by an immediate crescendo (surely a party piece!) was one of several delights delivered with real personality.
Italian, literally 'soft'.