(also piassaba /-bə/)
- 1A stout fiber obtained from the leaf stalks of a number of South American and African palm trees.More example sentences
- Piassava is a fibre extracted from a palm tree. It is found in the northeastern part of Brazil.
- Birch or beech wood is used for handles and the wooden grips, and horsehair, white fibre or piassava is used for bristles, depending on what the brush is to be used for.
- In addition he exported rubber and piassava.
- 1.1A palm tree producing piassava.More example sentences
- This paper reports on the possible changing sexual expression of piassava palm.
- This is the case of the piassava palm (Leopoldinia piassaba), whose fibers were used even in those days to make brooms.
- The natural incidence range of the piassava palm tree is close to the coastal zone (up to 60 km inland) and it is mainly concentrated between 13°S and 17°S.
mid 19th century: via Portuguese from Tupi piaçába.
More definitions of piassavaDefinition of piassava in:
- The British & World English dictionary