Definition of pickerel in English:
noun (plural same or pickerels)
1A small North American pike.
- Genus Esox, family Esocidae: several species, including the grass (or redfin) pickerel (E. americanus)
- They are E. americanus americanus, commonly known as the redfin pickerel, and E. americanus vermiculatus, known better as the grass pickerel.
- Other common fish inhabiting the pond were largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides, chain pickerel Esox niger, golden shiners Notemigonus crysoleucas, and fathead minnows Pimephales promelas.
- The skate was wonderfully tender and moist, and the Manitoba pickerel was a real delight - it's very delicate, so pan-frying is the right method for cooking it.
1.1chiefly North American Another term for walleye (sense 2).
Middle English: diminutive of pike1.
Definition of pickerel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan