Definition of pickings in English:
1Profits or gains that are made effortlessly or dishonestly, as by picking: thieves found easy pickings from garages and garden sheds he found, as strays often do, slim pickings
More example sentences
- It did not take him long to realise that much of the system of locum recruitment and payment was infected by barely controlled chaos and promised the dishonest rich pickings.
- But by warning people that burglars are on the prowl, it is hoped the criminals will not be able to take advantage of any easy pickings.
- Gas companies profit when oil prices rise, and face slim pickings indeed when times are rough.
2Remaining scraps or leftovers.
- From there they would get first pickings at the garbage.
- For those that fail, the remaining pickings may be small.
- Ive been out on several mini forays where many large families have obviously harvested there before me and the remaining pickings were thin.
Words that rhyme with pickingsfeelings • filings
Definition of pickings in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan