- The putout of a runner leading off base, involving an unexpected throw to a base by the pitcher or the catcher while the batter is still at bat.More example sentences
- No major league pitcher, to our knowledge. has ever matched his feat of retiring three runners on pickoff throws in one inning
- But then he made a crucial mistake, making a wide pickoff throw to first base.
- Every inning seemed to feature runners on base, full counts, pickoff throws, pitching changes, and breaks to go wake up spectators who may have dozed off.
More definitions of pickoffDefinition of pickoff in:
- The British & World English dictionary