Definition of picrite in English:
A dark basaltic rock rich in olivine.
- The tholeiitic picrite basalts and basalts of the Mailaka sector have higher 87 Sr / 86 Sr and lower cNd 88 than the weakly alkaline basalts.
- Two series of igneous rocks have been found: tholeiitic, ranging from picrite basalt to basaltic andesite (to rhyodacites); mildly alkaline, with a more restricted compositional range (picrite basalts and basalts).
- The effects of depth and degree of melting are well illustrated by terrestrial basaltic magma types, which can be divided into three broad groups: basalts, komatiites, and picrites.
- Example sentences
- The nephelinites are conformably overlain by picrites and picritic basalts of the Letaba Formation, although in the southern Lebombo the picrites directly overlie the Clarens Formation.
- Farther east, the abundance of rift tholeiites and associated high-temperature picritic lavas suggests proximity to break-up and formation as part of a Neoproterozoic SDRS package.
- The picritic lavas and cumulates drilled in westernmost Victoria are compositionally very similar, with low TiO 2.
Definition of picrite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan