- 1(Of eyes or a look) appearing to see through someone; searching: he stared at me with those piercing eyesMore example sentences
- His piercing eyes searched the ceiling, perhaps for an enemy or another of its kind.
- Each day she floated down the hall with an armload of books as her piercing eyes searched out the quickest way to class.
- He dove under again, searching with piercing eyes for the girl, his mind besieged with frenzied thoughts.
- 1.1(Of a voice or sound) extremely high, loud, or shrill: she let out a piercing screamMore example sentences
- It was a loud and piercing sound that filled the entire room.
- She covered her ears with the piercing sound of shattering glass.
- Jim followed, his eyes still watering from the piercing sound of that chair screaming across the hardwood floor.
- 1.2(Of wind or extreme temperature) seeming to cut through one: the piercing coldMore example sentences
- It snowed on and off all day and a cold piercing wind blew down the streets, along the canyons between the city's skyscrapers.
- Suddenly, the temperature made a drop from warm to freezing, as the plants around her froze and the gust of wind became a piercing gale.
- At night, I was awakened by the piercing wind and burrowed under the quilt to escape the cold.
- 1.3(Of a feeling) affecting one keenly or deeply.More example sentences
- I yelled and wiggled, but I couldn't stop the piercing feeling from growing more intense.
- A painful piercing feeling went through my heart when she did that.
- She pronounced it with venomous, piercing rage, like a vulture pouncing on its prey, and then she threw her cup against the wall.
- 1.4(Of mental attributes) sharp; profound: her piercing analysisMore example sentences
searching, probing, penetrating, penetrative, shrewd, sharp, keenperceptive, percipient, perspicacious, penetrating, discerning, discriminating, intelligent, quick-witted, sharp, sharp-witted, shrewd, insightful, keen, acute, astute, clever, smart, incisive, razor-edged, trenchant
- He does, and it's what leads him to some very fine insights and piercing analyses.
- His eyes were keen, their piercing gaze complementing the wisdom behind them.
- He leaves the piercing insights for another day though.
- More example sentences
- As Samuel Johnson piercingly observed, ‘Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier.’
- The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
- Neil has a piercingly direct focus and a generous smile.