Definition of pigeon pea in English:
1A dark red tropical pealike seed.
- Popular Caribbean staples include pigeon peas and rice, and ‘callaloo,’ a dish made from callaloo greens, okra, salted pork, crab, and fresh fish.
- Peas with rice, a dietary staple, consists of dried pigeon peas and rice prepared with thyme and other spices.
- Be sure also to try ‘pelau’ buttery pigeon peas and tasty rice and try the desserts - ‘kurma’ and ‘sawine’.
2The woody Old World plant that yields pigeon peas, with pods and foliage that are used as fodder.
- Cajanus cajan, family Leguminosae
- The farmers in the village grew ragi, cow pea, pigeon pea, green gram, jowar, horse gram and sesame.
- Sorghum and pigeon pea, for example, are grown as intercrops in drier parts of India.
- Rotation of potato, mint, rice, wheat and pigeon pea can bring double the profit.
Definition of pigeon pea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia