Definition of pigfish in English:
noun (plural same or pigfishes)
1A deep-bodied scaleless fish with a protuberant snout, living in the cooler seas of the southern hemisphere.
- Family Congiopodidae: several genera and species
- Huge abalone, crayfish, dogfish, beautiful seahorses, blue cod, southern pigfish and carpet sharks are just some of the inhabitants to look out for.
- Inside, I find shoals of cardinalfish, then on the hull some nosy red pigfish and resting goatfish.
- Young Pigfish are pinkish with thin stipes on the sides of the body and red lines on the head.
2 [usually with modifier] Any of a number of other marine fishes, especially one that grunts.
- Like other members of the grunt family, a pigfish makes a grunting sound by rubbing the teeth in their throat together.
- Pigfish are members of the grunt family (Haenulidae) which are noted for the rasping or grunting sounds they make in their throat when captured on a hook or otherwise disturbed.
- Pigfish (Orthopristis chrysoptera) are in the grunt family and are another good bait for most bottom fish.
Definition of pigfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.