Definition of piggy bank in English:
1A container for saving money in, especially one shaped like a pig, with a slit in the top through which coins are dropped.
- Workers turned up with boxes, bags and piggy banks crammed with coins and by the end of the day the total reached £1, 550.
- Do you try to spend it to 'get rid of it', or do you put it in a jar or a piggy bank?
- If you have any old £10 notes hiding away in a wallet, purse or piggy bank, you have until midnight tonight to spend them.
1.1Savings: many people would dip into their piggy banks to pay the higher tax bills
More example sentences
- That suggests that people are using money in their piggy banks to fund a lot of their Christmas shopping this year.
- But, as many employers have found out, tapping the trust fund piggy bank can bring increased personal risk and result in harsh measures.
- If you're going to make a stability/heritage / piggy bank fund, the money in it should be invested in the future - hence, education.
Definition of piggy bank in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia