Definition of piggy bank in English:
1A container for saving money in, especially one shaped like a pig, with a slit in the top through which coins are dropped.
- Workers turned up with boxes, bags and piggy banks crammed with coins and by the end of the day the total reached £1, 550.
- Do you try to spend it to 'get rid of it', or do you put it in a jar or a piggy bank?
- If you have any old £10 notes hiding away in a wallet, purse or piggy bank, you have until midnight tonight to spend them.
1.1Savings: many people would dip into their piggy banks to pay the higher tax bills
More example sentences
- That suggests that people are using money in their piggy banks to fund a lot of their Christmas shopping this year.
- But, as many employers have found out, tapping the trust fund piggy bank can bring increased personal risk and result in harsh measures.
- If you're going to make a stability/heritage / piggy bank fund, the money in it should be invested in the future - hence, education.
Definition of piggy bank in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.